Saturday, January 5, 2013

Not Just Another Saturday

 This morning, I got up and went through my regular routine. But this evening I decided to break my normal Saturday afternoon routine and go to my local cafe. I went in and was seated right away at a green metal table next to the window - yes - I got my favorite seat! Hey,  I thought today might not be so bad after all.  
My waitress was Joanie, a good friend of mine who lives in dorm 7, near mine. She works at the cafe as a hostess and waitress - sometimes both.  Eli was normally the hostess, but she went back to Massachusetts for Christmas.  
I decided I wasn't that hungry, so I ordered a slice of cake. She happily took my order saying it was a slow day. 

 She came back in a few minutes with my wonderful looking cake.
"Yum!" I exclaimed when I saw it on the silver platter Joanie was carrying.
 She delivered it and said "Enjoy!" with a polite smile. I happily dug into my cake - Yes, it was as good as it looks!  I was actually feeling a little less homesick, I guess keeping myself busy helped keep my mind off of Canada.  I heard the door bells jingle as someone walked inside.
"Table for one, please" the girl said.  I had a rush of shock run inside me - it can't be. I thought.
 I spun around in my chair  - Curly hair, Blue eyes, Freckles, soft sweet voice with a heavy French accent... It was.
"LACEY!" I yelled, maybe a bit too loud. She looked up startled that someone knew her name. She saw me and walked straight towards me.
  "tu me manques, Violet" Lacey said. "Tu me manques trop" I said. 
 "How.. How.. Ho-" I sputtered.
"How did I get here? Well, I was missing you so much, I had to leave.  I just had to. My parents enrolled me part time in your school, and I knew I would be coming after Christmas. I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was coming." Lacey explained
 We both took a seat - Excited to catch up.
 "So, how have you been doing?"
 "Okay, seriously homesick.  I never thought I would miss it as much as I actually do.  I want to go home, but the plane tickets are just crazy expensive!" I told her.
 "That reminds me - I got you a gift."  Lacey open her zipper in her purse and took out a small piece of paper, stiff and straight, and handed it to me. "So, best friend, want to go home?"
 I slid the ticket closer to me. I was shocked.
 "Mon dieu! Merci! Merci!" I exclaimed.
 "Want to see my dorm?" I asked getting up.  "Of course!"
 When we opened the door to dorm #5, Lacey said " Wow. It's so pretty! Your Canadian posters are of course my favorite though"
 We promptly took a bunch of photos.


Who is your best friend? What does he/she look like? 

-Violet

2 comments:

  1. Hi Violet,
    This is my first time commenting on your blog but by sister and i have been reading it for a while and we really enjoy it.
    My best friend is my twin sister who looks exactly like me because we are, after all, identical twins.
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Violet,

    First, let me just say that I love your blue dress! I've been wanting to know how I'd look in it, and since you look just like me, I know that I will definitely have to get it at some point! ;)

    Second, it's so cool that Lacey unexpectedly showed up with a plane ticket for you! Have fun returning home for a while (I know I have!). Lacey is too, too pretty, by the way!

    My best friend is automatically Juliette, my identical twin. However, my other best friend is Nathalie, who I'm sure you know by now. She's French Canadian like you and Lacey, and we met when she enrolled in FHSG in 2008.

    Ton amie,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete